Monday, May 7, 2012

Looking for a healthy recipe?
The benefits of eating more Kale in our diets can be read here.


Try this recipe which includes a fantastic dressing I used on a
Chopped Kale/Spinach & Carrot Salad.
(Believe it or not, I made it allllllll up outta my head.  Really.)
 
Asian Plum & Citrus Fusion Dressing (how's that for an imaginative title?)
 
Citrus Juice from 1/2 orange (squeeze as much as you can from orange into a  small bowl)
Add:
1/4 c. Rice Vinegar
2.5 tablespoons of Kikkoman's Plum Sauce
(find in Asian section of grocer's, comes in 9 oz. jar..)
1/4 c. sesame oil
Splash (several squirts) of Tarragon Wine Vinegar
3 tablespoons  olive oil
2 generous tablespoons of finely chopped/small dice FRESH Ginger
Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix all of above together well, at least 1/2 hour before tossing with Salad.  It's nice to let the dressing rest so the ingredients can combine.
KALE & SPINACH
At the grocers, I used the bag of pre-chopped Kale, and the small baby spinach in bags.
I had to sort through the Kale and remove the tough stems...and I chopped it a little more into 2 " pieces - Same procedure with the Spinach.  (The Kale is a large quantity in it's bag, so I used maybe 1/2 of the bag, and about  3-4 handfuls of spinach) This depends on how much you need - I think the dressing stretches if you need to make a larger salad...
CARROTS -
I used  the pre-cut Carrot Slivers that are in bags in the produce section (love this food item) combine a couple generous handfuls of the carrot slivers along with the kale and spinach into a large salad bowl When you are ready to dress salad  ADD:
1 c. of Oceanspray or similar brand of DRIED CHERRIES.
Small 6 oz. bag of thin-sliced Almonds - and 1/4 c. sunflower seeds (roasted or raw...)
Toss dressing well to coat leaves, carrots, cherries, etc...
Serve!
Let me know if you have questions, I'd love to hear how it turns out for you!
R

No comments:

Post a Comment